According to Foss, some common obsessions in scrupulosity include:
• Repetitive thoughts about having committed a sin
• Exaggerated concern with the possibility of having committed blasphemy
• Excessive fear of having offended God
• Inordinate focus on religious, moral, and/or ethical perfection
• Excessive fear of failing to show proper devotion to God
• Repeated fears of going to hell / eternal damnation
• Concern that one’s behaviors will doom a loved one to hell
• Unwanted sexual thoughts about God, Jesus, or a religious figure such as a priest
• Unwanted mental images such as Satan, 666, hell, sex with Christ, etc.
• Excessive fear of having acted counter to one’s personal morals, values, or ethics
What Watch Night Really Means for People of FaithWhile the Watch Night service has its roots in the Methodist church, these services...
Did You Know These Celebrities Were Devout Christians?...Over the years, Hollywood has had a strong reputation for being a spiritual...
How to Keep Christ in ChristmasAs Christians, we know the importance of keeping Christ in Christmas. Unfortunately,...
Going Out of Town: 5 Things Every Homeowner Should...Protect your home, and property before you leave for vacation.
More from Beliefnet