According to Foss, some common obsessions in scrupulosity include:
• Repetitive thoughts about having committed a sin
• Exaggerated concern with the possibility of having committed blasphemy
• Excessive fear of having offended God
• Inordinate focus on religious, moral, and/or ethical perfection
• Excessive fear of failing to show proper devotion to God
• Repeated fears of going to hell / eternal damnation
• Concern that one’s behaviors will doom a loved one to hell
• Unwanted sexual thoughts about God, Jesus, or a religious figure such as a priest
• Unwanted mental images such as Satan, 666, hell, sex with Christ, etc.
• Excessive fear of having acted counter to one’s personal morals, values, or ethics
Hollywood Faith Facts: Marvin GayeSoul legend Marvin Gaye led a life that many only dream of. His early Christian...
Success Sundays: Debbie Sterling, Founder of GoldieBloxGirls like to play with more than just dolls and dresses - and Debbie Sterling...
5 Spiritual Vacations That Will Elevate Your FaithNeed a getaway? Take a cruise that will bring new life to your spirit, draw...
More from Beliefnet