Join the Jehovah's Witness Community
Join the Jehovah's Witness community to find friends of your faith, answers to your questions and lively discussions.
What Jehovah's Witnesses Believe
• Belief in Deity
There is one God Almighty--a Spirit Being with a body but not a human body. There is one God and no Trinity.
Christ is Lord and Savior, but not God (Jehovah) incarnate, not a God-man but inferior to God, not part of a Godhead. He was a created spirit being, God's only begotten son, sent to Earth as a perfect human. His sacrifice became the "ransom" price to redeem mankind from sin and death. God created all in heaven and on Earth through Christ, the "master worker," God's servant. After Christ's resurrection by God, he was "exalted" to a level higher than angel.
• Origin of Universe and Life
God created the heavens and earth in six days, but each "day" is equal to thousands of years. God created and controls all processes and events.
• After Death
No soul remains after death. Soon, Jesus Christ will return to resurrect the dead, restoring soul and body. Those judged righteous will be given everlasting life on a paradise earth. Those judged unrighteous will not be tormented, but will die and cease to exist.
• Why Evil?
The original sin caused humans to inherit death and sin. Satan and his demons pervade the earth as spirits tempting all to sin, which God allows as a test of faith in Him.
You must show faith in God and in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Adhere to the practices, requirements, commandments, laws, and sacraments of the faith. "Witnessing" and active sharing of their faith with others is fundamental. Avoid behaviors that God dislikes, including celebration of birthdays and holidays originating from false religions.
• Undeserved Suffering
Much suffering is caused by the inheritance of mortality from Adam and Eve, which includes vulnerability to illness and disease. Also, those who choose to succumb to Satan's temptations may suffer self-inflicted damage to their health. Satan and his demons cause great misery. God has allowed the situation to continue so that mankind can discover that God's rule is better than independent human-rule. He has allowed Satan to cause suffering to challenge Satan's claim that God's creation, humans, would turn from and curse God under pressure.
• Contemporary Issues
Abortion is wrong. Homosexuality is a serious sin. Gender roles are defined: Men are the head of the household and women are loving caretakers who assist the husband in teaching the children. Divorce is permitted under certain circumstances, but Jehovah hates remarriage unless the divorce occurred as a result of adultery. Service in the armed forces or any form of allegiance to government is prohibited; one must show allegiance only to the Kingdom of Christ. Blood transfusions, along with ingesting blood, are considered wrong, as God said the soul is in the blood. Bone marrow transplants are left to the individual conscience. (Note: all other forms of medical treatment are acceptable.)
Question: Name one place where you can get married, hear your fortune and gaze admiringly at a spinning kewpie doll any time day or night? Okay, there’s probably a 900 number for that. But how many of those are presided over by the King of Rock and Roll? As far as I know, only the 24-Hour Church of Elvis delivers. With a membership of exactly one, this streetside, coin-operated cathedra ...
Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses are "mentally diseased" and should be avoided just like anybody else with an infectious disease, according to an article in The Watchtower, the official magazine ditributed door-to-door by the church's members. The article has prompted outcries from a number of lapsed Witnesses as well as several ministries who counsel former members and teach against the group's ...
Jehovah's Witnesses: Faith Facts
Resources and Related Links
Q&A: Jehovah's Witnesses and Holidays
Our etiquette expert answers your questions about:
Top Beliefnet Content
- How to Let Go of Past Loves
- 15 Hidden Health Secrets of Lemons
- 21 Simple Ways to Be Happy
- The Lord Is My Shepherd: The 23rd Psalm
- Prayers for Jobs and Money
- How to Attract Abundance
- 8 Irish Blessings - Irish Blessings for Luck
- 21 Ways to Overcome Disappointment
- Living the Serenity Prayer
- How to Practice Lectio Divina
- 10 Inspiring Quotes for a Depressed Heart
- Uplifting Quotes for Hard Times
- ¿Puede una madre sobrevivir el suicidio de un hijo?
- 15 Hidden Health Secrets of Lemons
- 21 Consejos para reavivar tu relacion con Cristo
- La puerta del INFIERNO: y 9 impresionantes lugares
- Preguntas de la Biblia
- The 12 Most Powerful Christians in Hollywood
- 6 razones para seguir luchando por tus sueños
- Milagro Bebé regresa a la vida
- 6 Powerful Reminders from the Serenity Prayer
- 7 Ways To Meet God Reading The Bible
- 7 Quick Reminders God Will Provide
- 7 Biblical Reasons Why Holiness Is Sexy
- 7 Ways to Know God is Smiling on You
- 7 Prayers For Forgiveness
- 6 Ways To Break Free From Poser Christianity
- Why The Bible Is Like Your Best Friend
- 11 Worship Songs That Should Be On Your Playlist
- Faith Statements for Your Day