What Is Advent?
Prepare ye the way of the Lord.
Advent, a four-week period during which many Christians anticipate Jesus' birth, begins on November 29, 2009. Those who celebrate Advent spend time preparing spiritually for the coming of the Jesus.
Made of stiff cardboard, an Advent calendar is a large picture dotted with numbered windows, representing The first of Advent through Christmas Day. The picture is often of Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus in Bethlehem, though it can also show a Santa scene. Each day, one window is opened, usually revealing a Bible verse or a small piece of chocolate. For maximum spiritual and physical refreshment, a combination of the two is recommended.
Though we can't promise you chocolate, each day of our interactive Advent calendar will focus on one aspect of this spiritual season. Come back tomorrow to see the next batch of offerings.
- 12 Days of Christmas Joy to help Singles Cope with Holiday Blues
- 7 Surprising Places to Find Love This Holiday Season
- Dealing With Separation
- How to Keep Christ in Christmas
- 7 Ways Christians Can Rethink Christmas
- Why Chocolate Chip Cookies are a Christmas Fav
- Awesome Christmas Traditions You’ve Never Heard Of