The Evolution of Derek Webb
Beliefnet gets personal with the singer/songwriter about what he learned from making 'Feedback'.
BY: Jennifer E. Jones
He's the contemporary Christian music artist who breaks all the rules. Derek Webb talks with Beliefnet about the controversy he's stirred and how the Lord's Prayer brought him to his knees.
Q. You are a founding member of CCM band Caedmon’s Call. Then you went solo and started taking on social and political issues. What made you go in a different direction?
A. Honestly, I feel like I’ve always been the same writer. When we started Caedmon’s, I was just out of high school. Even before I was using music to express myself, I’ve always been wired a particular way. As a kid, I’d hear things that sounded like conventional wisdom and cock my head to one side. I’ve always been a little suspicious of structures of authority. I think I spent a lot of my time in Caedmon’s trying to figure out if that was right for me to be that way. I eventually figured out that God made me this way for a reason. My creative life would be better spent figuring out what the right things are to rebel against rather than trying to not be who I was.
- Musician Challenges Believers to Shun Popular Music for 30 Days
- 'High School Musical' Star Graduates to Gritty Role in 'Gimme Shelter'
- Documentary Explores the Trials and Hurdles of Jeremy Lin
- Video: Duck Dynasty's Willie Robertson Speaks About his Faith
- Looking for a Great Film for Your Youth Group?