A Synagogue's CustomA young scholar from New York was invited to become Rabbi in a small old community in Chicago. On his very first Shabbat, a hot debate erupted as to whether one should or should not stand during the reading of the Ten Commandments.
The next day, the rabbi visited 98 year-old Mr. Katz in the nursing home. "Mr. Katz, I'm asking you, as the oldest member of the community," said the rabbi, "what is our synagogue's custom during the reading of the Ten Commandments?"
"Why do you ask?" asked Mr. Katz."Yesterday we read the Ten Commandments. Some people stood, some people sat. The ones standing started screaming at the ones sitting, telling them to stand up. The ones sitting started screaming at the ones standing, telling them to sit down... "
"That," said the old man, "is our custom."
- Docudrama about Handel's Messiah on BYUtv November 27, 2014
- Another #Epicfail for Barbie -- And a Non-Barbie Alternative
- This weekend: "Little Hope was Arson" on VOD + "A Royal Christmas" on TV
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 Stars Talk About the Film
- Exclusive Clip: Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman Scorned
- Read the Full Blog
Your Funny Photos
What is this pigeon reading? Click for a closer look and to see more hilarious pictures.
Share Your Religious Funnies
Jokes By Category
Funny Photo Galleries
When Do You Laugh?
Can you laugh when things go wrong?