A Synagogue's CustomA young scholar from New York was invited to become Rabbi in a small old community in Chicago. On his very first Shabbat, a hot debate erupted as to whether one should or should not stand during the reading of the Ten Commandments.
The next day, the rabbi visited 98 year-old Mr. Katz in the nursing home. "Mr. Katz, I'm asking you, as the oldest member of the community," said the rabbi, "what is our synagogue's custom during the reading of the Ten Commandments?"
"Why do you ask?" asked Mr. Katz."Yesterday we read the Ten Commandments. Some people stood, some people sat. The ones standing started screaming at the ones sitting, telling them to stand up. The ones sitting started screaming at the ones standing, telling them to sit down... "
"That," said the old man, "is our custom."
- New York Yankees Pitcher CC Sabathia Checks into Rehab
- John Hanlon Interviews Beth Kushnick on Designing for "The Good Wife"
- How media can help end mass gun killings + K-LOVE teams with Feed My Starving Children
- Trailer: "Back in Time" -- Documentary About the Making of "Back to the Future"
- Trailer: A Bigger Splash with Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton, and Dakota Johnson
- Read the Full Blog
Your Funny Photos
What is this pigeon reading? Click for a closer look and to see more hilarious pictures.
Share Your Religious Funnies
Jokes By Category
Funny Photo Galleries
When Do You Laugh?
Can you laugh when things go wrong?