Top 10 Recent Celebrity Converts
Katie Holmes: From Catholicism to Scientology
Before Katie Holmes got the role that propelled her to stardom—as Joey Potter on "Dawson's Creek"—she was just your average small-town, church-going girl. Thus far she's managed a somewhat successful movie and stage career, but currently her most famous role is as Tom Cruise's wife. Baptized and raised a Roman Catholic, within weeks of dating Cruise—who's been an outspoken Scientologist since 1990—Holmes was taking Scientology classes. In 2006 they were married in a Scientology ceremony, after the given birth of their daughter Suri earlier that year (Katie had a "silent birth" in accordance with Scientology practices). While a rep for the Church of Scientology claims that one needs not renounce his or her former faith to join, Cruise told Diane Sawyer in a 2006 interview, "You can be Catholic and be a Scientologist. You can be Jewish and be a Scientologist. But we’re just Scientologists."
- Should Movie Audiences Text to the Screen?
- Faith/Media Fall Preview: What's ahead in movies, TV, music and books
- Back to School Guidelines for Parents on Kids and Media
- After the Ice Bucket Challenge: Two Upcoming Movies About People With ALS
- Thursdays in September on Turner Classic Movies: The Jewish Experience on Film
- Read the Full Blog