Beliefnet Welcomes Deepak Chopra and Family to Its Roster of Esteemed Contributing Bloggers
Exclusive Videos Feature Personal Reflections on Consciousness, Creativity and Connection from One of the World’s Most Respected Spiritual Leaders.
Continued from page 0
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Caren Browning/Rebecca Freed
The Morris + King Company
- Fresh Perspectives on Ancient, Yet Timeless Teachings from Younger Chopra Voices -
New York, NY – February 21, 2008 – Beliefnet, the leading online community for faith and spirituality, today welcomes renowned spiritual leader Deepak Chopra, M.D. and his new blog, Deepak Chopra and Family, to its growing list of respected contributing bloggers. Joining Dr. Chopra, will be his daughter and son, Mallika Chopra and Gotham Chopra, both accomplished authors and entrepreneurs in their own right, who will share regular insights that reflect their father’s teachings and their personal observations of the world.
Exclusive video blog posts, filmed on location with Dr. Chopra, will be offered twice weekly—he will comment on current events and ancient teachings in an intimate and fresh new format. Deepak Chopra and Family will also have a presence in Beliefnet’s new community with profiles and affiliated groups supplementing the blog and encouraging interaction with the hosts on a more personal level. Visit Deepak Chopra and Family at: http://www.beliefnet.com/choprafamily/.
“Beliefnet is a great example of human interconnectedness,” says Deepak Chopra. “As one of the most respected online resources for the spiritually curious, they’ve built, and are supporting a dynamic online community of caring and engaged people. Mallika, Gotham and I are indeed honored to be a part of this vital network and hope to offer information and encouragement for others following a spiritual path.”
Time magazine heralds Deepak Chopra as one of the top 100 heroes and icons of the century and credits him as "the poet-prophet of alternative medicine.” Dr. Chopra has remained an outspoken advocate for the incorporation of Eastern mind-body practices into traditional Western therapies. In doing so, he has transformed the concept and practice of healing for millions of people around the world. Chopra's Wellness Radio airs weekly on Sirius Satellite Stars, Channel 102, which focuses on the areas of success, love, sexuality and relationships, well-being, and spirituality. In addition to authoring more than 50 books, several of which have topped the New York Times best-seller list, Chopra is founder and president of the Alliance for a New Humanity—a global effort to end war and suffering by increasing awareness and practicing peace. His latest book, released this week, is THE THIRD JESUS, a reimagined biography of the spiritual figure. Dr. Chopra will be blogging about this book that one reviewer called "An insightful and clarifying glimpse into the life of one of the most radical spiritual teachers the world has known."
Mallika Chopra, who has written several books on parenting and spirituality, will contribute regular health, human rights and spirituality posts to the Deepak Chopra and Family blog. Mallika also blogs at IntentBlog, and has written two books with her father, 100 QUESTIONS FROM MY CHILD and 100 PROMISES TO MY BABY.
Gotham Chopra was hailed by Newsweek magazine as one of the "most powerful and influential" young South Asians. He can be seen as a correspondent and news anchor for the in-class Channel One Network, the pre-eminent news and public affairs content provider to teens. As co-founder of Chopra Media and a partner in Intent Media (with Deepak Chopra and Shekhar Kapur), Gotham is involved in a variety of creative media ventures. He is the president of development for Gotham Studios Asia, the largest comic book studio in India, and serves as creative consultant to Current TV, a new television network co-founded by former Vice-President Al Gore. His latest book, FAMILIAR STRANGERS: UNCOMMON WISDOM IN UNLIKELY PLACES, recounts wisdom gleaned while traveling the globe seeking answers to age-old spiritual questions.
“You only need to look at the accomplishments of Mallika and Gotham to understand the incredible impact parents have on their children,” says Valerie Reiss, Beliefnet’s holistic spirituality editor. “We’re proud and honored to add the Chopra family’s multi-media offerings to our roster of cutting-edge spiritual bloggers. Steeped in ancient traditional teachings, these vibrant new voices epitomize Beliefnet’s mission to engage with seekers on a spiritual path.”
Beliefnet blogs offer thought-provoking commentary and inspiration from respected spiritual leaders, and cover a wide range of topics including politics, parenting, pop-culture, mental health and more. In addition to Deepak Chopra and Family, current offerings include:
• Beyond Blue, A Spiritual Journey to Mental Health by Therese J. Borchard
• Our Lady of Weight Loss, A health and weight-loss blog by life coach Janis Taylor
• Flower Mandalas, A blog About Mandalas, Art, Healing and Transformation by David J. Bookbinder
• Casting Stones, Beliefnet’s political mashup; A Boisterous Conclave on Faith and Politics
• God-O-Meter, Analysis of the 2008 Presidential Candidates’ use of Religion in the Race to the White House, in Partnership with TIME magazine
• Crunchy Con, Conservative Politics and Religion with Rod Dreher
• God’s Politics, by Jim Wallis and Friends, a partnership with Sojourners
• J-Walking, a Christian view of Jesus and Politics with David Kuo
• Steven Waldman, blog on faith and politics by Beliefnet’s Editor in Chief
• Reformed Chicks Blabbing, a blog on Christianity and politics
• Feiler Faster, the Blog of Bestselling Author and Commentator, Bruce Feiler
• Idol Chatter, Beliefnet’s Pop-Culture and Religion Entertainment Blog
• Virtual Talmud, Rabbis Blogging for the Sake of Heaven
• A Touch of Encouragement, Inspiration and stories from Martha Williamson, executive producer of Touched by an Angel
Check out Deepak Chopra’s new blog at: Deepak Chopra and Family.